Now in many homes or at the workplace in the office there is a stationary computer. In this case, setting up a Wi-Fi router is quite simple and even an inexperienced user can handle this task. It is enough to install the router, connect it to power and the global network, configure the settings through the browser. And you can enjoy high-speed Internet.
But how to set up a router without a computer? You remember that the modern market for stationary PCs is increasingly competing with other devices: smartphones, tablets, laptops and even televisions. And an increasingly common situation is that we ended up without a computer and network cable at hand, but we want to configure the router ourselves for wireless access to the network.
So, today we pose the question – is it possible to configure a router from a personal smartphone or tablet? Sure! You can configure from any of your devices that have the ability to connect to a Wi-Fi network. It is clear that you have it, since you decided to purchase and install this unit. A device that works both on the Android operating system and on iOS is suitable.
For convenient setup and control of the router from the phone, it is better to connect via a mobile phone with a large screen or tablet.
The whole process is identical to the setting from a personal computer. There are some nuances with direct connection. The main thing is that you need an Internet access point and good reliable equipment.
See the following video for instructions on setting up a router from a smartphone:
Let’s get started on how to connect the router itself. First you need to connect it to the power supply, which is plugged into a 220V outlet. Then plug the Internet Ethernet cable from your ISP into the WAN port.
Do not forget to completely assemble the router itself, it may have separate antennas in the kit!
After connecting the external cable and power supply, we check the light indication on the router. If the indicators work, then we did everything right. If after turning on the device in the network the icons do not light up and everything is assembled correctly, we are looking for the power button on the device’s case, maybe it turns on in this way. If all the actions did not lead to a positive result, then most likely the equipment is faulty and will have to be sent to the service for repair.
Note that our network in the default version will be called standard (usually the name of the router itself).
There will be no password, the network will be accessible to everyone, which we will use to enter. If there are several such networks, then in order to determine which one to connect to, we use a simple method. We simply turn off the power on our device, and then turn it back on with the button or into a wall outlet. We see which network disappears for a while from our list of available connections. Now we will be confident in choosing our network.
If our router has already been configured previously, you must reset the settings and then continue. This is simple to accomplish – just press for about 10 seconds a small button with the name “RESET” on the router itself.
Finally, we take a mobile device and read how to configure a router through a telephone. Please note that we work without a network cable, which is called a patch cord (it is needed to connect the router to a PC or laptop). We go into the search for a wireless network and click on the network of our access point in the list. Connection to it so far should be without a password. In rare cases, a code is required to enter the selected network. It is easy to find, since it is written on the back of the router.
Next, on your device, turn on any browser and in the address bar we write IP – by default, 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.0.1 and proceed. The address of the device can usually be found on a glued label that hangs on the back cover.
Next, we get into the settings menu, or a window pops up asking you to enter your username and password. Usually, the username and password are standard – admin and admin. We enter them and get into the web interface of the router. And then comes the usual setup.
It’s better to immediately configure the router so that it works correctly with any Internet provider, therefore, there were no issues when connecting to the network and gaining Wi-Fi access for your devices. To accomplish this task, we need to know several criteria that the Internet provider could tell us when signing documents to connect to the Internet service.
Firstly, you need to know by which technology the connection is made. We list the options:
- static (static) IP,
- dynamic IP
This information is either in the documentation provided by the provider, or it can be requested from technical support by calling the “hot line”.
You also need to learn about binding using a unique identifier and ask to bind the port to the MAC address of your router. Data can be found on the sticker at the bottom of the router.
This is a very important nuance when setting up an access point yourself. If we neglect it, then our devices, although they will be connected to the world wide network, will not receive the Internet access themselves.
Setting up Wi-Fi connection
Now we’ll tell you how to configure Wi-Fi access on a router through a phone or tablet:
- Consider a bookmark called Wireless.
- In the field "Wireless_Network_Name" you need to name our new network. You can use the Latin alphabet and numbers for this.
- In the field "Region" choose the country of residence.
- Next, click "Save." Sometimes a notification window appears. We skip it by pressing the "OK" button.
Setting a password on a wireless network
Setting up Wi-Fi on the router requires a password. This must be done in any case, through the phone you are setting up a connection or from a PC.
- In the “Wireless” tab, select “Wireless_Security”".
- We tick off the button “WPA / WPA-2” – “Personal (Recommended)”.
- In the field "PSK_Password" you must enter a password. You invented it yourself and you need to remember it, because you will have to enter it every time you reconnect. It is important to observe the password requirements: more than 8 characters, use large and small letters of the Latin alphabet and numbers. If the password is complex, it is better to write it down. If it is lost, you will have to reset all equipment settings and start all over again.
It is better to change the default login and password for accessing the router interface (usually there is admin – admin everywhere), because security is first of all, otherwise any stranger will be able to log in and change your settings to his advantage.
- Bookmark System_Tools – Password.
- First, enter the old username and password, which were the default, and then set new ones that are known only to you.
- We save the changes, and the system throws us a window in which it asks for your new data. We enter them and get into the settings menu, if everything was done correctly.
- It remains to restart the router. This action can be performed in the "System_Tools" section. Select the “Reboot” button and wait for the equipment to exit the reboot.
Setting up a router from TP-Link
Look at the Wi-Fi network setting on the router TP-Link through a special application on a smartphone:
So, we gave general information, now we will consider the issue on a specific model. We will tell you how to configure the TP-Link router through the phone.
- Open any browser on your phone or tablet and write the IP address of the device 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. We will find ourselves on the authorization page, where they enter the username / password (known to us admin / admin).
- Select the “Quick Setup” section (recommended for beginners). Click "Next."
- In the next window, you can fill in all the lines, or check the box "I did not find the appropriate settings."
- Now we need to choose the type of connection (we need to find out from the provider). We have the same settings for a static IP address.
- We fill in the following fields using information from the provider:
- If the provider did not specify the binding by MAC address, in the next window select "No, I am not connected to the host computer":
Please note that when setting up other types of connection, you will need a username and password that the service provider sets.
To establish a Wi-Fi connection from the phone, we also go to the “Quick Settings” section and select “Wireless Mode”. In the wireless mode section, turn on "Wireless Broadcasting", set the SSID network (name), select the native region and set the mode (recommended mixed b / g / n).
In the "Wireless Protection" section, we need to come up with a password for our Wi-Fi network (WPA2-PSK type is recommended as the most reliable).
Finally, access to the global network is open, and we can get to any site. Setting up a router from a phone or tablet is a snap. This is due to the fact that operating systems are very similar, they support the same applications as a personal computer. The browser on any device performs the same functions, so it can be easily applied on a smartphone to configure the access point.
Check in practice, is it really so easy to set up a router without a computer, connect an access point and connect your devices to a new network? I am sure you will succeed!