Most laptop users are faced with situations where you need to reinstall the operating system, often while maintaining a licensed Windows. This publication discusses several methods of how to reinstall Windows 7 on a laptop, and also describes the nuances of the process of installing the OS on laptops from different manufacturers.
System Restore Using Windows 7 Backup
Most manufacturers of mobile computers create backup storage for distributions of the seven or any other OS. Reinstalling Windows 7 on a laptop from these memory areas is done using the built-in utilities.
To start the reinstallation, restart the laptop and press:
- for Windows on an hp laptop on F11;
- on an ASUS laptop on F9 immediately upon boot;
- for Windows 7 on a Lenovo laptop on F11;
- on the acer laptop, the Alt F10 key combination is suitable;
- for Windows 7 on a SAMSUNG laptop on F4
After clicking on the desired key, instead of the standard Windows 7 boot, the OS recovery interface will open:
- Utility used by acer laptops.
- Utility used by hp laptops.
- Utility used by SAMSUNG laptops.
- Utility used by Lenovo laptops.
After downloading the program, follow the instructions for restoring Windows.
But remember that all settings will be reset, and data from the previous copy of the system may be deleted.
Reinstall from disk
When reinstalling from a disk, remember that to restore a license, you must use a distribution kit with exactly the same OS as you used to. You can find out the version of the installed system on the sticker, which is usually located on the back of the laptop. By the way, there is also a license key for your copy of Windows.
This is implemented by formatting the system partition, so take care in advance of transferring all the necessary data from the selected volume of the hard disk for installing Windows. It is not advisable to transfer the installed programs, as this will lose connection with the registry, and many of them may not start. Do not be lazy, install them again after replacing the OS.
The distribution disk distribution kit does not include drivers for all laptops, so download drivers for your device in advance on the manufacturer’s official resource. If this is not done, then after installation there is a high probability of the following problems:
- the network card does not work;
- Wi-Fi does not work;
- applications do not start.
If you reinstall the OS without this, then to troubleshoot network equipment you will have to download the driver distribution using another computer and transfer them using removable media, so before reinstalling, be sure to play it safe and download drivers for the network card and Wi-Fi module.
To begin the installation process, insert the disk into the drive and restart the laptop. After starting the computer, open the boot menu where you want to select the boot from the DVD-ROM.
This dialog is invoked on most laptops using the F12 key, and on hp devices, the F9 Esc combination is used
Often on older computers, this function is not available, so you will need to open the BIOS and edit the boot priority yourself. To switch to BIOS on laptops, manufacturers use the following keys:
- Acer, Asus, Samsung, Lenovo – F2;
- hp – F10 Esc
If the brand of your device is not in this list, then find out the key that is relevant for it on the window that loads when you turn on the PC.
The BIOS interface from different manufacturers is not similar in appearance, but the sequence of actions for changing the boot priority is almost identical. Navigation through the windows of the working BIOS of all versions is carried out using the arrows on the keyboard and the Enter, Esc,, – keys
Procedure for BIOS AMI:
- At the top of the screen, select the “Boot".
- In the list that opens, select "Boot device priority".
- Using the arrows on the keyboard, move to the first place in the boot list "Cdrom".
- Press F10 and save the changes by selecting “OK".
Procedure for BIOS Phoenix-Award:
- Select the entry “Advanced BIOS Features"And press Enter
- In field "First boot device"Select the following value -"Cdrom".
- Press F10 and confirm the changes.
After making changes to the BIOS and rebooting, a dialog box appears with the message: "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD."
Further installation of Windows 7 is not difficult, do the following:
- Press any key on the keyboard.
- Wait for the file unpacker to complete, the screen with the entry "Windows is loading files …" is displayed.
- In the dialogue "Windows installation»Specify the language and click on the Next button
- In the window that appears, click on the large Install button
- Select the installed version of the system to which you have a license code. You will need to enter it after reinstalling Windows 7.
- Accept the licensing terms.
- Select the installation method – “Full installation".
- Select the drive volume on which you intend to install the OS, and prepare it by clicking on the “Disk setup". There are situations when the reserved drive partition is on the list, be sure to select another volume. If you have disks larger than 250 GB, it is worth splitting them into several. Usually, a separate partition of up to 100 GB is allocated for system installation.
- Format the selected drive partition. A warning will appear that all information on it will be deleted. Confirm the agreement, because you previously saved all the necessary data. Wait for the installation to complete and click Next.
- Wait for the installation process to finish, on average it lasts from fifteen to twenty-five minutes, the duration depends on the configuration of the laptop.
- Fill in the fields with the username and PC name.
- Protect your account with a password, or you can skip this action.
- Enter the key written off from the sticker on the laptop.
- Select security options.
- Set the date and time.
- If you have a network connection, specify the type of connection.
Reinstalled Windows is ready to go. If you changed the boot priorities in the BIOS, return the hard drive to the first place in the list, otherwise the computer will constantly try to start from DVD.
Reinstalling from a flash drive
Many compact PCs, such as netbooks, do not have a DVD drive. Therefore, the question arises of how to correctly reinstall Windows 7. The answer is simple – use removable media.
To reinstall from a flash drive, you need to download the Windows 7 distribution image in the “ISO” format and write it to this media using a special utility. Remember, to correctly reinstall a licensed Windows system, you need to download a container with the same OS version. The flash drive itself must have a capacity of at least four gigabytes.
Burn Windows to the media using the most popular utility among analogues Ultraiso performed by the following algorithm:
- Plug in the flash drive.
- Run the utility.
- On the menu "File"Select"Open…".
- Select the downloaded image of Windows 7.
- Open the drop-down list "Self loading"And select the line"Burn Hard Disk Image …".
- Click on the Record button and wait for the process to complete.
The installation flash drive is ready, but in order to start the installation, it is required to select "USB HDD". How to configure the BIOS above, all actions are similar, just select a different entry from the available list. Further installation is no different from installing Windows 7 from DVD.
Often after reinstalling Windows does not work. To solve this problem, take another OS distribution and repeat the installation process. In addition, many users ignore the need to format the partition and reinstall the seven on a disk that already has a copy of the system installed. Avoid this, as it can also be a cause of malfunctions.
This article looked at reinstalling Windows 7 in several ways. If there is no backup, then this procedure should be carried out from a disk on which exactly the same OS version is recorded. Some laptops do not have a CD-ROM, so reinstallation can only be done using external media, such as a USB flash drive.