Apple cares about the security of user data, and in order to protect information on all iOS devices, it is possible to set a password. Its input can be configured each time the device is unlocked or after a certain time interval of its inactivity. By setting a password, the owner of the iPhone, iPad or iPod may forget it. Having foreseen this, Apple suggests users try 6 times to enter the correct password. If none of the attempts is successful, the device will be blocked, and the user will see a message that he will be able to try entering the password again only after a certain time. Having made a mistake 4 more times, the message “iPhone is disconnected, connect to iTunes” will appear.
Recover iPhone or iPad
Apple recommends that if you encounter an “iPhone (iPad) disconnected, connect to iTunes” error, perform a device recovery. This can be done with saving data in the event that backups were previously created using iTunes. In situations where this has not been done, it will be possible to recover the iPhone or iPad after incorrect password entries and an error only with data loss.
To recover your iPhone after ten incorrect password entries, you must do the following:
- Connect the smartphone to the computer using the original USB cable. Important: You need to connect to a computer that was previously synchronized with the device via iTunes. When you connect a locked device to a computer new to it, you will be prompted to enter the password for the device;
- After connecting the locked iPhone to the computer, the iTunes application will start. If this does not happen automatically, start the program manually;
- The synchronization process between iTunes and iPhone will begin, as a result of which a backup will be created. Please note that this backup will be protected by a forgotten password, so using it to restore your smartphone is not practical;
- When the synchronization of iPhone with iTunes is completed, you must click "Restore iPhone";
- During device recovery, you will be able to select the option “Restore from iTunes copy” or “Restore from iCloud copy”.
- Depending on where you have a backup of the device until the password is set, perform recovery from this source. If there is no backup, then the iPhone will boot without user data.
After performing the device recovery procedure, the password will be reset, and you will be able to reuse your iPhone or iPad.
Remote password reset on iPhone and iPad
Another effective way to get rid of the “iPhone is disconnected, connect to iTunes” error is to perform a remote reset. This can be done if the “Find iPhone” function was activated on the device before the problem occurred. It allows you to track the device, as well as perform some remote manipulations with it, including erasing all information from the device.
You can reset the password for the iPhone using the service from any computer, tablet, smartphone and other gadgets with Internet access. To do this, you must:
- Go to the device’s search page in iCloud and log in through the Apple ID to which it is linked;
- Next, in the list of all devices, select the iPhone or iPad, the password of which must be reset;
- Click "Erase iPhone" or "Erase iPad", and then confirm your intentions.
All information from the device will be deleted and the error "iPhone is disconnected, connect to iTunes" will disappear. It will be possible to restore the device from existing copies or configure it as a new device.
Additional password attempts on iPhone or iPad
If the error “iPhone (iPad) is disconnected, connect to iTunes” appears on the screen, you can bypass it and get another 10 attempts to enter a password. The method is as follows:
- On the computer to which the locked device was previously connected, you need to start iTunes;
- After that, you should connect a smartphone or tablet to it;
- Next, at the bottom of iTunes, the “Sync” button will be available – click on it;
- The synchronization process will start, and before it is completed, it must be stopped and canceled by clicking on the cross;
- Next, disconnect the device from iTunes, and again there is the opportunity to try to enter the password 10 times before it is locked.
- Important: This method does not work on all versions of the iOS operating system.
If you reset your password entry attempts in the specified way, you can do this ad infinitum by repeating the steps described above and getting 10 additional password attempts.