Since 2008, Samsung has been using a unified system to label its TVs. We will analyze this marking. Earlier models may be designated differently, but such devices are not on sale anymore.
From the marking of the TV, you can find out the type of screen, year of manufacture, the region for which the model is intended. By the number of the series and subseries, you can also find out some technical characteristics, because the company announces in advance which series will have which parameters.
This marking is located on the back of the TV itself and on the packaging box. Just note that the series number is not “serial number”, but the number indicated in the model name, for example this: " Samsung UE40MU6100UXUA ".
Label decoding example
Consider two models of different years and with different matrices for the display. The following describes all possible marking variations.
2016 model with LED screen
Let’s analyze one example of Samsung TV marking. From left to right:
- U. LED TV,
- E. Europe region,
- 75. screen size in inches,
- K. 2016 model,
- 9. the ninth series, the numbers 0,0,0 will not tell us anything without the help of specialists (the last two zeros say about design),
- AB. indicates the type of tuner that can be defined in the list below.
2017 model with QLED screen
Another example of Samsung TV designation, already for the Q model:
- Q. QLED TV,
- E. Europe region,
- 65. screen size in inches,
- Q9. model of the 9th series,
- F. Flat screen (for curved letter C),
- A. release date and start of sales,
- M. letter refers to design,
- U. view of the tuner,
- XRU. destination country Russia.
The first letter indicates the manufacturing technology of the screen:
- U. backlight LCD matrix with LEDs (LED. Light-Emitting diode);
- Q. QLED, LCD matrix using quantum dots for backlighting, Quantum dot enhancement film (QDEF);
All modern models of Samsung TVs use a matrix on liquid crystals (LCD) as a display, matrix illumination and matrix quality are different. Therefore, there are ordinary U models and premium Q TVs.
Today not released:
- K. matrix of organic light-emitting diodes (OLED. Organic Light-Emitting Diode);
- P. Plasma screen (PDP. Plasma Display Panel), discontinued in 2014;
- L. matrix illumination with fluorescent lamps (CCFL. Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp), not available since 2013;
- C. tube (CRT-Cathode Ray Tube. Cathode ray tube), not available today.
- F. flat screen (flat);
- C. curved screen (curved);
The second letter indicates the distribution zone (for whom it is made):
- E. Europe;
- A. Asia, Africa, Australia;
- S is Iran;
- N. Korea, North and South America.
Next in the model designation are two numbers that indicate the size of the diagonal of the screen in inches (1 inch = 2.54 cm.).
Typically, TV sets are produced with screens from 32 inches to 65 inches, the most popular among users. There are more screens, but this is for large rooms and most buyers do not choose them.
Year of issue
Further in the marking is a letter that indicates the year of manufacture. It is by the letter of the year that Samsung went.
- NU / N / QN. 2018
- Q / MU / M. 2017
- KS / KU. 2016
- JS / JU. 2015
- HU / H. 2014
- F. 2013
- E. 2012
- D. 2011
- From 2010
- In. 2009
- A. 2008
Additional letters were also added to those that mean year:
- S. TVs under the brand "SUHD" (issued in 2015 and 2016);
- U. ultra-high resolution 4K UHD screen.
All Q (QLED) and S (SUHD) models have a resolution of 4K UHD (3840×2160).
Previously, there was such a letter (after the year):
H. means a body of normal thickness;
If there are no other letters in the marking after the letter of the year designation, and the series immediately goes on, then this means a regular LED HDTV TV with a resolution of Full HD (1920×1080) or HD Ready (1366×768).
The following numbers indicate the series and sub-series of Samsung TVs.
In decreasing order of the series, the price decreases, and the technical characteristics deteriorate, or rather the devices become simpler without additional functions.
The second digit indicates the podcast of the series. According to some experts, various technical data may be hidden in this figure. There is no official explanation from the company regarding this figure, so it’s hard to say for sure.
The third figure refers to the design, so it will not reveal any technical parameters.
The fourth digit indicates the presence of the tuner and its appearance. For example, the number 7 means the presence of a DVB-T2 tuner, and 0 means the presence of a DVB-T tuner. That was until 2013, but since 2013, the type of tuner has been designated by two letters, and the fourth figure has also become related to design.
Now the type of tuner is indicated as follows (a newer designation is indicated in brackets):
- AW (W). tuner DVB-T / C;
- AB (B, AU or U). tuner DVB-T2 / C / S2;
- AK (K). tuner DVB-T2 / C;
- AT (T). two tuners 2 x DVB-T2 / C / S2;
- SB. tuner DVB-T2 / C / S2;
- SS. tuner DVB-T / C / S2;
- ST. two tuners 2 x DVB-T2 / C / S2;
- SL. two tuners 2 x DVB-T / C / S2;
- AF (BF). DTV Tuner / Digital Cable Tuner / Analog Tuner;
- DK. DVB-T2 / C;
- AR (DR). DTV Tuner / Analog Tuner.
Next may be one or two letters. According to the company, these letters do not carry any information to consumers. In addition, these letters may not be on the Samsung TV label.
Country of destination
And the last are three letters that indicate the country in which this TV will be sold:
- XRU. Russia;
- XUA. Ukraine;
- XCS. Kazakhstan;
- Xzf. France;
- XXU. England;
- XZT. Italy;
- XXC. Spain;
- XZA. USA;
- XXY. Australia;
- XMA (XXM). Malaysia;
- XZN. Arab countries;
- XXT. India, Thailand;
- XMS Asia;
- XZG. Germany, Austria and Switzerland;
- XXN. Belgium, Holland, Luxembourg;
- XBT. Baltic (Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia);
- XXE. Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland;
- Xxh. Eastern Europe (Slovakia, Hungary, Poland and so on).
The most important parameters that can be learned from the marking are the year of manufacture and the series number.
The main technical characteristics that distinguish one series from another are:
- The presence of ports (USB, HDMI, etc.);
- Image enhancement technologies (increase frame rate, better color reproduction, etc.). For example: Wide Color Enhancer Plus, Clean View, Clear Motion Rate 100, 400, 600;
- The presence of a Wi-Fi module, a LAN port for connecting to the Internet;
- The presence of a tuner, for example, for receiving digital television. It can be DVB-T2 or DVB-T;
- Screen Resolution: HD Ready, Full HD, Ultra HD;
- Frame rate, the frequency of the matrix itself;
- The presence of 3D functions, Smart TV, the ability to control voice or gestures.
And there is surround sound, a browser, the number of cores in the processor, the thickness of the case, etc. Some functions will be important for you, but some can be neglected. Pay attention only to what is really important for you, so as not to overpay for the purchase.