If you are a happy owner of an iPhone or iPad, then of course you will do everything to protect your device. Apple developers have built in a lot of ways to do this, and one of these methods is setting a password on the lock screen. And just using this lock, you can sooner or later see the inscription “iPhone is disconnected, connect to iTunes”.
Causes of error
Everything is extremely simple. If you enter the password incorrectly several times when you try to unlock the screen, the device will first give you a temporary warning, and then completely block the iPhone. This was done, of course, for security reasons, so that an attacker could not turn on your device simply by picking up a password by trial and error. But sometimes you can make a mistake yourself by forgetting the password or by letting children on the phone who, not realizing their actions, will bring your device to such a lock.
This blocking may occur due to negligence
There is more than one way to solve this problem.
“The device is disconnected, connect iTunes” – we solve the problem through iTunes
This method will help you save the files on your phone, but still require you to remember the password from the locked device. It is really useful if you know the password and the lock was not your fault. Follow these steps:
- Install iTunes on your Windows or MacOS computer.
- Launch it and connect your iOS device to the computer through the official usb cable for your device.
- In some cases, this will be enough and you will find that you can again try to enter the password on the lock screen.
- If this is not the case, then in the program, right-click on your device and select "Sync".
Click the Sync button
This and subsequent solutions are relevant for any version of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
Unfortunately, this method only works if your Windows or MacOS computer is already attached to your iPhone. If the attached device does not exist, iTunes first asks whether to give access to this computer, and then asks for confirmation directly from the phone screen.
If you see this window, you will not be able to restore the device in this way
Of course, you cannot give this confirmation. However, for such cases there are other ways to solve this problem.
Restoring from a backup version of a device
If you were prudent and backed up your device from time to time, then it’s time to praise yourself for it. After all, even a rollback to the backup will deprive you of some of the data that was created after you received the copy of the device, most of the data should remain with you. If the state of the copy suits you, it is worth starting to restore the iPhone from the backup. We will consider restoring from backup via iTunes, although there are other ways to do this:
- Launch iTunes on your computer and connect the device to it.
- If iTunes requires confirmation of the connection from your device, then you will not be able to give it. If it requires only a password – enter it.
- Select a connected device.
You need to choose your device
If the copy is also password protected or it was not possible to access this method for another reason, it remains only to reset the device with the complete deletion of all data.
Complete reset of your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
When using this method, you will lose all data on your iPhone.
If this method has come to that, then the previous ones did not help you and you have no choice. Fortunately, there is a special program that can help you at least slightly reduce losses. So, the iFunbox program will help you drop some multimedia files (photos, videos) from your device, even if you do not have access to it.
After all the files that can be saved have been saved, do the following:
- Launch iTunes. Resetting through the device itself is not possible, since you do not have access to it.
- Connect the device to the computer and select it in the program.
- Click Restore iPhone.
Click Restore iPhone to reset the device to factory settings.
ITunes may require you to turn off Find my iPhone to restore your device. You can do this on the iCloud website by logging into your account.
How to avoid a similar block in the future
In order not to fall into a similar situation in the future, or to make the solution to this problem easier, just follow a few simple rules:
- Do not forget your password. After all, any such lock is necessary so that you and only you can access the device. Therefore, remembering the password created to lock is extremely important.
- Keep strangers and young children away from your device. Apple devices are quite expensive, and blocking due to an incorrect password is far from the worst thing that can happen to your device in case of negligence.
- Back up regularly. This will help you not to lose data.
- Connect your device to a computer with iTunes installed, even if there is no need for this. This will give you more options when access to the device is lost.
Now you know what to do if your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch displays a lock message and asks you to connect to iTunes. And although everyone can get into this situation, only you can make it out of petty trouble that does not become a big problem.